Scott Valley Feed Store (Greenview)
In the late 1930’s, J.J. and May Burger opened and operated the Scott Valley Feed Co. in a building in “downtown” Greenview. Eggs were a large part of their business at that time. They bought eggs from their customers to sell retail and to other wholesale outlets.
Carl Craig and Harvey Palmer bought the business in 1947 but, wanted to concentrate more on their well-drilling business, sold Scott Valley Feed Co. to Otto and Maida Brogger in November of 1949.
When Highway 3 was completed in 1956, bypassing Greenview, the Broggers acquired land next to the new highway and built the present location. They opened the doors on January 2, 1959. The Broggers then expanded their feed, seed, and farm supplies by adding nursery stock, fruit and shade trees, indoor and bedding plants, along with garden and gift items. Maida’s talent can still be seen in the store on the handmade “GARDEN & GIFTS” cedar signboard she made with letters formed from pine branches. Otto, as secretary of the Scott Valley Chamber of Commerce since its foundation, did much of the Chamber’s work in the store along with his feed business.
Carl and Tory Austin bought the Scott Valley Feed Store from Otto and Maida Brogger when the Broggers retired from the feed business in 1975. The Austins added another department – the “Craft Corral”, featuring art and craft supplies. Their son, Benny, added the tack department and his wife, Kathy, enlarged the nursery stock, adding ground cover and perennials.
As Scott Valley Feed neared the half-century mark in 1989, Carl and Tory turned the reins over to son Benny. He and Kathy have again expanded the nursery to a full garden center and are waiting to serve you.
We specialize in plants, herbs, and vegetables that live in our varied climate of Siskiyou County so you can be sure that they will live in your yard.
- Annuals for color
- Perennials for year-to-year enjoyment
- Water plants
- Shrubs to fill in with texture and flowers
- Small fruits – blueberries, strawberries, rhubarb, raspberries, grapes, blackberries, horseradish and hops
- Fruit trees for the backyard orchard
- Flowering trees for patios and yards
- Shade trees, large and small, with many choices of fall color and flowers
- Pots and pottery for indoor & outdoor needs
- Watering – Sprinklers, drip system, hose-end sprayers, and repair parts
- Fertilizer for all plants and hydroponics
- Herbicides & insecticides including organic/non-organic and indoor/outdoor
- Pest controls for deer, squirrels, ants, mosquitos, rats, mice, and birds
- Tools – Long handle and hand tools
- Labels, ties, and staking material
- Bagged potting soil, compost, soil amendments:
Photo Credit: Scott Valley Feed & Nursery
Address6655 N. Hwy 3 Greenview, CA 96037